It’s hard to go through the day without seeing or hearing something that brings a smile to your face. A cute baby, a child’s smile, or a kind word are all good reasons to grin.
For many, though, smiling is painful.
There are those who hold back their smile because of crooked, stained or missing teeth – because they’re too ashamed to let others see what’s inside their mouth.
This is one of the reasons we specialize in cosmetic dentistry. We want you to smile again. And we also know there are health benefits to improving your smile.
Types of cosmetic dentistry procedures
If you’re wondering how a cosmetic dentist can bring you more confidence and improve your health, here are several ways we can.
- Porcelain veneers – dental veneers are custom made for each individual and resemble your own teeth. They fix problems like crooked teeth, cracked or damaged enamel, and noticeable gaps in between teeth.
- Porcelain crowns and bridges – crowns cover the tooth to restore its normal shape and appearance. A dental bridge is used when a tooth is missing.
- In-home whitening treatment – allows you to whiten your teeth gradually from the comfort of your home using products provided by your dentist.
- Zoom Whitening – this procedure gets rid of stains and actually whitens the natural pigment of your teeth, giving you a sparkling, white smile.
- Dental bonding – also called composite bonding, this procedure repairs damaged, decayed or discolored teeth using a material that looks just like your tooth’s enamel. It covers your damaged tooth, making it look healthy again.
5 health benefits of improving your smile
Getting the smile you desire brings more confidence and happiness. It also delivers added benefits – health benefits. Here are the top five health benefits cosmetic dentistry provides.
1. Motivation for better dental hygiene. When you invest in improving your smile, you are motivated to maintain your results.
You look for ways to change your eating and drinking habits in order to avoid foods and drinks that will darken or stain your teeth. And as a result of avoiding these foods – sodas, coffee, junk foods, and cigarettes – you’ll improve your overall health.
2. Headache relief. Misaligned teeth can cause severe headaches. In fact, any bite that isn’t normal can cause you headaches and tooth pain.
Crooked teeth put pressure on your gum and nerves, sending pain to your head. Cosmetic dentistry or dental appliances fix this problem, giving you relief.
3. Improve your appetite. Teeth that are cracked, decayed, missing or misaligned make it difficult to chew. Having these problems corrected makes eating pleasurable again.
4. Reduce risk of periodontal disease. If your teeth are chipped, cracked, or damaged, they are more vulnerable to decay. And this increases your risk for more serious problems like periodontal disease.
Fixing problem teeth reduces your risk of gum disease and other oral health problems.
5. Less stress. We’ve heard the first impression is a lasting impression and begins with a healthy, beautiful smile. If you’re unhappy with your smile, you may shy away from social interactions, or become stressed when faced with interacting with others.
Improving your smile increases your confidence and happiness, and therefore reduces your overall stress.
So, if you want to improve your smile, and enjoy the added health benefits, let us know. We can help.
As a young boy, Dr. Arnold knew he wanted to be a dentist. Dr. E.I. Scrivner, Jr. was a family friend. And, getting to know him led young Fred to fall in love with the profession. Dr. Arnold is now recognized as one of the leading cosmetic dentists in the country. He’s accredited in cosmetic dentistry, and a former Chairman of Accreditation for the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. Dr. Arnold is a former member of the United States Air Force. He and his wife, Holly, live in Lexington, Kentucky where they’re raising their three daughters.